Thursday, June 25, 2009

Where my Head is Lately

I am still studying for the mcat and my test is in exactly 1WEEK!!!!! so please send lots of positive thoughts and prayers my way :). I also managed to convince my friend tanya to come up with me for the drive to syracuse and the hotel stay the night before. (it only takes one attack story of a single female traveling alone to make you paranoid lol so i am really grateful. I will also be in desperate need of a post mcat party buddy to hit up all the bars afterward so her presence is an added bonus!!!!.

Besides studying, I have also been putting the finishing touches on my primary application to medical school!!! for those of you unfamiliar with the process, it has two (technically 3 steps) the primary application begins in June and it is basically your background/ transcript/resume/ personal statement-why i want to be a doctor. I am applying to about 22 schools (a lot right lol but apparently it is better to have your options very open) this will set me back about 820 dollars- practically extortion right. After your primary application is approved and sent to yours schools of choice, they will send out their secondary application, mostly essays and the like detailing exactly why their school is the best fit for you (this will also set me back in price lol). If they like your secondaries then they will ask for an interview. If you do not get an interview (and only a small percent of applicants do) you do not get into the school period, and even then only about half of the people who get interviews actually get in. So hopefully i will get lots of interviews and lots of acceptances.

on another note, i have purchased my ticket to Europe! i will leave the 10th for frankfurt to spend the week with my boyfriend who is doing research there over the summer. I have never been to Germany before so i am really excited, and frankfurt just seems like such a cool and urban setting.

From frankfurt I will take a train to paris where i will spend a week with my sister and her husband. I have been to paris before when i was in the 10th grade but it was a school trip and very touristy. Although i did get to experience all the big museums and sites in rapid yet thorough succession, this time around i want a more in depth experience of actual parisian life. I especially can't wait to explore all the fashion houses. My obsession of the week is the summer 09 collection of Matthew Williamson, it's so bright and shiny yet undeniably sophisticated and sleek.


i especially love this suit




If my stars align right i will also be making a stop in London to see Wicked :) i read the book when i was in the eighth grade and still have not gotten to see it on broadway despite being in love with the soundtrack for so long. It is also something my sister and i have wanted to see together for ages. I am so excited for this trip, it is the only thing getting me through my relentless studying for the mcat.


As for my free time, last weekend i made the 8hr trek home for fathers day and to pick up valerie who will be spending the week with me (Hooray) and my car. It was really nice, i went to church with my family, we had a barbecue watched some soccer and just spent lots of great time together. It is never the same as when all of my sisters are home (one is in paris, the other in peru) but two out of four is not bad.

I even got to see the proposal, which was sooooooo cute and funny, and reaffirmed my soft spot for all things sandra bullock and ryan reynolds. I have not seen such a well executed romcom in ages so this movie was very refreshing. My sister and i also agree that ms. bullock made the movie. Her character script-wise could have come off as very offensive, cold and abrasive but bullock just managed to carry it with such charm and vulnerability that you couldn't even begin to hate her and could completely understand why reynolds' character falls for her in the end (please like you didn't see that one coming, definitely not a spoiler).


this weeks guilty pleasures have been, NYC Prep, and the real housewives of new jersey lol why is bravo so addicting and neurotic personalities so enticing. I never could look away from a train wreck.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your MCAT!! I'm sure you will do well, you seem well prepared.

    I'm sure you'll love Frankfurt, Paris, and London (if you go there)...I've been to all three and there all wonderful cities.

    ReplyDelete